Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Treebeats A To Z Posting Compilation Of Really Dope Things. The Letter G

The original rube bwoy come wikked with the “G” installment. Them na wan test we. Also, I am going to normalize all the tracks from now on. I just was tired of this mix not getting posted and didn’t have the patience to do so. So I understand there may be some level issues. I’ll fix that. Enjoy

01 - Gangstarr - Lovesick (Upbeat Mix)
So, granted it’s not Primo beat but we can do Premier for “P” This remix was done by John Waddell who also did a few Monie Love and Latifah remixes. Oddly this sounds kind of like where Premier got the idea for Christina Aguilera and I knd of thought that was the case until I realized he didn’t do it. But I’m dum. Now you don’t have to share my ignorance. As far as the track, it’s an interesting reinterpretation of the original. Kind of like Streets meets 1988.
02 - The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me
Thank you Charlie Wilson for giving the inspiration to Aaron Hall to completely bite your style. Thank you proving Cowboy hats essentially look goofy on everyone. Thank you for cleverly naming your records The Gap Band II, The Gap Band III, The Gap Band IV (etc through VIII). Some may think "Outstanding" would be a better idea to post. I get it. But I think that “You Dropped A Bomb On ME” was the quintessence of their cheesy-pop-funk hybrid that somehow worked for them.
03 - Genius – Labels
You may want to call him GZA, but on this album the “Genius” preceded the “GZA” and I was one of the six people that bought his first record so he’ll always be Genius to me. That being said. What a fucking song. RZA was in his rape-every-stax-song-possible stage and found a perfectly simple guitar riff to make you go “Oh shit” throughout most of this track causing many a repeat. It starts out with “Tommy ain’t my muthuhfukin boy” and keeps you enthralled for the duration. I’ve always had a special place in my heart for the Genius since he was the first WU soldier I ever heard, but this song shows why he is so dope.
04 - Ghostface Killah – Underwater
With Doom on the beat this song bangs. Ghost, ODB and Genius, in that order, are my favorite solo Wu artists. Ghosty gets top billing because that guy does just about anything and it still sounds good. He shines on most cameos and isn't afraid to take chances and this track is a perfect example of his seemingly freeform flow, “I opened the door, No I knocked first” for some reason doesn’t sound corny or like he doesn’t know what he’s saying. He goes on to tell some story about mermaids and Islam but who knows.
05 - Girl Talk - Friday Night
Talk about mash up. This dude samples 213 songs which include some songs that include several samples already. This song alone has 22 songs mixed and chopped up into it. The dude has far too much time on his hands but it works out well for us. If you are severely ADD or appreciate the time it takes to make some mash up shit like this then check it out.
06 - Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces
Alright, you may call Cee-Lo a sell out, but Gnarls Barkley was just a better produced third solo album from him. He was always the star of Goodie Mob and always kind of scared me. Probably because he said, “Those Crackers think they slick” and I am a cracker and think I’m pretty slick so I’ve always kept one eye over my shoulder fearing Cee-Lo will break my connection to the Illuminati wide open.
07 - Goodie Mob - Cell Therapy
Soul Food was a close second as to what to post here. Goodie Mob came out of Atlanta while I was living there and while everything else that came out of Atlanta sounding much more Miami. Organized Noize were in their swing at this point and there work with Outkast and TLC was making them household names. Cell therapy had that tweaked out piano and that fucking scraper that made you paranoid as well. Of course Cee-Lo shines as does Khujo. I always thought T-Mo was the Pras of Goodie Mob but I’m thinking about making a “Third Wheel” post of all the groups that had that dude that was probably blood related or rich because lyrically he sucked copious ass.
08 - Gorillaz - Dirty Harry
Featuring my man Bootie Brown who was in the Pharcyde when they didn’t suck and stayed with them as they proceeded to suck and suck and suck some more. But this is about Gorillaz. You know what? I just looked them up and this album went 5 times platinum in the UK and double in USA (who knew?!) so you probably know all about them.
09 - The Go! Team – Ladyflash
Once again, Brighton shines and brings us Go! Team. A dual drummered sextet with a flair for samples, rock, and hip hop. Ladyflash enjoys a sample of Sweet Tee’s (first?) record appearance from Davy Dee’s seminal hit “The DMX Will Rock” accompanied by some English chick. It’s just a good song that is loud and good to listen to.
10 - Grand Daddy I.U. - Something New
Down with Kane and Biz IU was the hard ass muthahfukkah that made a somewhat solid debut and a sadly flaccid follow up. However, “Something New” I feel, holds up very well to the test of time (that’s 17 years btw) I am old and wrinkled. Good shit if you’ve never heard it
11 - Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious 5 - White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)
Instead of go into a long discussion of Flash and his importance, let’s just take that as a given. So, with that being said, I read somewhere that any song with Melle Mel without scratching is apparently devoid of Flash which is why I properly labeled this track. I mean it’s Melle Mel y’all. The Godfather of conscious rap. It’s about cocaine which apparently “is a hell of a drug.”
12 - Grand Puba - I Like It
I always thought this was a much more solid and cohesive album than Reel To Reel (most of which was written while he was working on One For All. Thank you “Check the Technique”!). The vibes sample on that track makes me piss my pants every time. Also once again someone else did a better job reviewing this so go check my man Eric at When They Reminisce here.
13 - Grandaddy - Now It's On
WARNING! Direct rip from wikipedia “Musically, the band features guitars (both in the indie rock style and in a fashion calling Jeff Lynne to mind), keyboards reminiscent of Philip Glass's minimalist style and vocals in the key of Neil Young. The band's musical style (somewhat classifiable as indietronic) often combines experimental electronic sounds with elements of folk and rock. Lyrics generally focus on isolation in a high-tech world grafted onto rural America. Common themes in the band's music are wildlife, obsolete technology, robots, incompetency and heartbreak” Indietronic!?! Cooool. Anyway, it’s a good track.
14 - Gravediggaz - Constant Elevation
I’d like to think I’m smart enough to make a good review of this record but I know Max over at Hip-Hop isn’t dead will make anything I do look inane and puerile so check out his review of the entire album here.
15 - Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse (Kruder & Dorfmeister Session)
This is one of those rare examples when the remix is better than the original. I always liked Mr Isaacs because he was one of the dudes I could actually understand when I was getting into reggae. Kruder & Dorfmeister are the best thing Germany has given us since farfegnugen and Eva Braun (she’s hot). This is a dubbed out reinterpretation of Night Nurse that makes it sexier and dub-ier and just better.
16 - Groove B. Chill - Hip Hop Music
Another group that made that inexcusable mistake of combining humor with hip-hop. After their brilliant cameos in such hits like House Party and um House Party 2. In 2001 Daryl Michell made the ultimate funny and became a paraplegic. What do you call a paraplegic in a pool? Bob. What do you call a paraplegic with a rap career? Chill. Is that not funny anymore? Shh it’s ok; some of my best friends are missing all four limbs.
17 - Groove Theory - Hey U
I think Amel Larrieux’s voice is great and I always liked this track. Oddly enough Bryce Wilson always considered this the worst song on the record. It’s kind of Trip Hoppy if you take “Trip Hoppy” to mean really fucking good. If not it’s just really fucking good.
18 - Guy - Groove Me
I already admitted how much I loved Teddy Riley and previously in this post toted the brilliance of Charlie Wilson’s bastard child (well that actually doesn’t make sense if all he has is in fact a father but you feel me right? Right? Is anyone still reading?) I heard this song and entered the New Jack Swing fold.
Pace.

01 - Gangstarr - Lovesick (Upbeat Mix)
02 - The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me
03 - Genius - Labels
04 - Ghostface Killah - Underwater
05 - Girl Talk - Friday Night
06 - Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces
07 - Goodie Mob - Cell Therapy
08 - Gorillaz - Dirty Harry
09 - The Go! Team - Ladyflash
10 - Grand Daddy I.U. - Something New
11 - Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious 5 - White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)
12 - Grand Puba - I Like It
13 - Grandaddy - Now It's On
14 - Gravediggaz - Constant Elevation
15 - Gregory Isaacs - Night Nurse (Kruder & Dorfmeister Session)
16 - Groove B. Chill - Hip Hop Music
17 - Groove Theory - Hey U
18 - Guy - Groove Me



Intro to Ghost in the Shell. Go see it if you haven't and be amazed and confused.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Groove B Chill was my shit. I loved that song and that album.

Oh and you got me beat on that Genius album, even I didn't buy that one hahaha

Anonymous said...

You Sucker. This Me MF T-mo2thefullest.This is a weak ass page.Shut this Bullshit down Bitch

eXTReMe Tracker