Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Treebeats A To Z Posting Compilation Of Really Dope Things. The Letter E

Seriously this is a great mix. I've been listening to it a lot. I know I made it, but every song on here is def, dumb, dope and completely phenomenal.
01 - Eagles of Death Metal - San Berdoo Sunburn
The Eagles of Death Metal are a side project of Carlo Von Sexron (A.K.A. Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age fame) and Jesse "The Devil" Hughes and are a lot closer to The Eagles than they are to death metal. They describe themselves as “bluegrass slide guitar mixed with stripper drum beats and Canned Heat vocals." They've been used in a lot of commercials and nobody knows who they are. Now you do and you will spread the gospel. It’s just a good rough garage rocky record with a good vibe.
02 - Easy Star All-Stars - Money
The Dubbed out version of Pink Floyd’s, Dark Side Of The Moon could sound like a bad idea. It could be executed poorly with miserable and idiotic results. It could end up terrible. This record does none of this. Rather, it takes a tripped out psychedelic record and trips it out some more with less LSD and more THC. This is probably my favorite cover record of all time and is fucking brilliant. I heard this at a friend’s house watching the Boston Marathon six years ago and stayed inside for the whole thing while everyone went outside and drank and watched the race. I was absolutely enthralled. I then went outside and enjoyed a beer(s) and the rest of the race. Do yourself a favor and pick this record up. The Radiodread is not as good certainly, isn't awful. Look for another one of their songs appearing in a coming up edition of “Friday’s Cover.”
03 - Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs - I'm Different
When I was in High School I believed that any hip hop made in New York was the best and anything made anywhere else was OK but not “real” hip-hop. I was at boarding school and over winter break I gave my man Almasi $40 to get me some new records that I couldn’t get at home. He brought back ED O.G’s “I Got To Have It” single. He, and The Black United Leaders Livin Directly On Groovin Sounds were dope and only a 45 minute drive from me (I was in Rhode Island at the time). I’m sure it was some hometown pride as well, but that record got played the hell out and their debut release faired the same. I don’t mean “played the hell out” in a “I’m bored of this now” kind of way, but rather a “I can’t get enough of this lyrical dope and these ill ass beats!” None of his releases ever moved me the same but this record gave him a permanent place in my “MC’s I respect” list.
04 - Eek A Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem
Da one don gorgon demma call Eek A Mouse is a Reggae giant (literally at 6’6” and metaphorically by being one of the more celebrated and recognizable voices.) Wa-Do-Dem,” which is patois for “What’s the matter with them” is probably his most famous song. Who doesn’t like a song about a hot virgin girl!? It’s a reggae standard and it’s dope. Perrrrfect! (I’m steeple-ing my fingers.)
05 - Eels - Woman Driving, Man Sleeping
Mark Oliver Everett A.K.A. the Man Called E is the force behind Eels. This track is from Souljacker which was released in 2001 and is a favorite of mine. “Woman Driving, Man Sleeping” is a song about just that. It paints a picture of a somewhat depressed relationship or maybe it’s just dark and quiet. Whatever. I don’t know what the hell the song is actually about but its mellow goodness with a steady riff and rim shots echoing into the black. It’s good to drive to as well.
06 - Elbow - Ribcage
My love for Elbow is a result of my love for Doves. Love not love love. They are another Manchester band from the 90’s that did the music I liked. If you like Doves (see the post I did here or check the “D” installment) you will love these guys. This song just builds into this aural typhoon of beats, choir, guitars and delayed beeps. It’s a big song and I love it and would marry it if not otherwise betrothed.
07 - Ella Fitzgerald - Oh, Lady Be Good [Scat Version]
It’s Ella Fitzgerald y’all! The First lady of song. I never understood why her scatting wasn’t sampled more. This is just one example of why she was a fucking amazing individual. Read up about her. Her story is pretty impressive.
08 - Elvis Costello - Alison
Was his aim true with a 9MM or with devotion? Who knows? It was early Elvis that still holds up today. The song was released 30 years ago! If you’ve never listened to Elvis Costello, then imagine a guy who has been Punk, New Wave, Rock, Folk and then anything else he wanted. The dude is prolific and gifted. This is a great song of his.
09 - Eminem - Drips
This is my wife’s favorite Em track. Say what you want about him but he will kill most anyone in a battle. I never saw him battle Canibus which is my personal battle fav, but I would like to see it. It would be like Kenobi Versus Anakin except without the first 2 movies.
10 - En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)
How do you pick a favorite? OK Cindy was the best. But Rhonda, Terry and Maxine were a close second. This was a making the band(®Bad Boy Films) group that was actually pretty good, looked dam good and had a career spanning more than a single or two. As I said earlier, I mixed this with D-Nice’s “Call Me D-Nice” ad nauseam. It was a good song. Don’t front. You go “ooooOOOO BOP” too!
11 – E.P.M.D. - Jane
The integrity and beauty of a serial misogynistic and homophobic themed tale has never been so deftly tackled as it was by Eric and Parrish in their quest of Making Dollars. Spanning 6 songs, 3 of which I guess I liked, the story of Jane was a great idea that was done by an average group. Don’t get me wrong I love those guys, they just aren’t that good. This was the best of the Jane songs to me. But I’m old and ornery.
12 - Eric B & Rakim - What's On Your Mind
First their was Mahogany. Then House Party 2 came out. Robin Harris? Sadly died. Martin Lawrence? Gone. George Clinton? Gone. Groove B Chill? Gone. Possibility of two more subsequent films? Gone. The phoenix of the ashes of Kid N' Play's career was Eric B & Rakim’s “What’s On Your Mind.” Both the tracks, this and Mahogany, were ill rap songs about some stupid shit and stuff. Rakim Allah made it alright to talk metaphysical shit to get your lady naked. Thanks buddy. I learned a lot from the R, but being a romantic warrior might have made the biggest difference.
13 - Erykah Badu - Next Lifetime
Ah, Neo-Soul. Gotta love the Soulquarians. Gotta love Erykah. Just to get my gripe out of the way, I heard in one interview that she had the balls to deny that she sounded like Billie Holiday and didn’t get her style from her. Seriously Erykah? We liked you. Why did you say that? Anyway, I still couldn’t front on this record. Along with D’Angelo’s debut this assisted my "Mack" considerably.
14 - Esthero - Song For Holly (Feat. Danny Saber)
Esthero, born Jen-Bea Englishman (good idea on the name change shnookums) released her first record with production by Doc in 98. During the mid to late 90’s there were a lot of douche bags that believed that any time a woman’s voice was singing over a fat beat it was good. I was one of those douche bags. I had always preferred R&B on blend tapes and Portishead made my panties moist. This song was from the movie "Go" during a strip scene that I have been desperately trying to persuade my wife to reenact without success. Esthero did it well and “Breath From Another” was a very solid debut. She essentially created the sound that Res and Nelly tried to emulate. It’s good and you will be a better person if you buy it.
15 - Everlast - Painkillers
I got the Rhyme Syndicate record when it came out and was so excited to see a white guy on it. Up until that point, the only white rappers were the Beastie Boys (Paul’s Boutique wasn’t out yet and the Surf MC’s which made me want to rip out the veins in my eyes and shove fiberglass in my ear holes.) You can hate him or love him but the cat has been down since day one, when it was a lot harder. I have this thing about artists that try different musical styles. Part of me immediately thinks they's a bunch of sell out punk bitches and another part of me appreciates the fact that they are brave enough to try different things. Over specialization breeds in weakness, and without change we would still be listening to “Lime to a lemon” rhymes. So pick that up and pack it in your pipe and smoke it.
16 - E-Z Rollers - Walk This Land
I don’t really know a lot about these guys. There a Drum & Bass outfit from Norfolk England. This song was featured in the scene in Lock Stock when everyone is getting fucked up at the pub and celebrating the heist. I’m sure part of it was the fact that I liked the movie so much but this is also a pretty solid track.


01 - Eagles of Death Metal - San Berdoo Sunburn
02 - Easy Star All-Stars - Money
03 - Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs - I'm Different
04 - Eek A Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem
05 - Eels - Woman Driving, Man Sleeping
06 - Elbow - Ribcage
07 - Ella Fitzgerald - Oh, Lady Be Good [Scat Version]
08 - Elvis Costello - Alison
09 - Eminem - Drips
10 - En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)
11 - EPMD - Jane
12 - Eric B & Rakim - What's On Your Mind
13 - Erykah Badu - Next Lifetime
14 - Esthero - Song For Holly (Feat. Danny Saber)
15 - Everlast - Painkillers
16 - E-Z Rollers - Walk This Land



I've got no words for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, Esthero? I first heard that song on the soundtrack to Go, and I always thought it was pretty hot. And the Everlast songs I always liked from that album were "Praise The Lord" and "Tired", since they both sounded abso-fucking-lutely nothing like "What It's Like". Good mix as always, keep it up!

eXTReMe Tracker